How to create space for yourself wherever you go
A few weeks ago, while on vacation, I was just hanging out in our hotel room immersed in my little notepad, coloured pens and a book. My partner walked past where I was sitting, smiled at me and said, “you always manage to create a tiny little world for yourself, wherever you go”.
It made me realise how true that was and how much I love making a little haven for myself, both at home, and when I am away.
It also got me thinking about why I do this and what all things I like to include in my space. Lets start with why.
Why do I like creating a space for myself wherever I go?
I have enjoyed spending time on my own for as long as I can remember. I was the kid who never got bored, even during the long summer holidays. So it makes me think that I started creating these spaces intuitively, guided by the introvert in me. However, over the last few years, I realised that the act of separating myself physically from everyone else for some time, works wonders for me.
- It helps me relax and unwind – especially after a long day out and about.
- It lets me collect my thoughts, get into a creative head space and understand what’s truly important to me.
- It helps me recharge my batteries and get excited for social interactions again.
What makes a good space?
- The most important ingredient of all for me is my own undivided attention and presence, and the willingness to cut off from the rest of the world (including my phone) for that time, so I can truly sink in to that space.
- The simple things- a notebook/journal, a few coloured pens, a book, whatever else tickles your fancy.
- A cosy little space (which in this case happened to be in the corner of our hotel room). Earphones are also great to make any space cosy. 😉
Bite-size tip: I find that the trick is to really tune in to what feels the best for me at the time, and understanding that it might take a couple or more times of trying before finding the best way. What we need from our space could also vary from one day to the next. For example- on some days, my perfect tiny little space is on the couch listening to a podcast/audiobook while playing a game on my phone.
Do you relate? I’d love to know. Or if this inspires you to create a space for yourself, let me know how you go!